Thursday, 20 May 2010

The Most Disgusting Idea I Have Ever Seen.

I was just innocently watching BBC News when the most blood boiling story in the history of the universe came up. I can't find a link to show you on the BBC website, but this blog post pretty much sums up the issue http://citywire.co.uk/personal/-/blogs/money-blog/content.aspx?ID=400909

I am finding it very hard to contain myself.

Paying people to quit smoking. They've been giving the stupid, idiotic twats who choose to smoke vouchers and cash incentives want to fucking expand it. I'd give the fuckers cancer, see how they like that. I can assure them that months, even years of sickness, chemo, operations, watching friends die and needles the size of biros in your bones is harder than giving up.

They're even doing it to make pregnant women give up. Any woman who smokes when pregnant shouldn't even be allowed to have children. It's repulsive, verging on child abuse.

Here's a quote from the woman interviewed on the bulletin "It was such a nice incentive, getting a nice treat at the end of the week, maybe some new clothes or fruit". They are taking money from the genuinely seriously ill and giving it to some lazy smoker to get a new pair of jeans.

And this is supposed to 'save money'? No, this is an attempt to take the desperate, easy route out. People should love life, we shouldn't have to pay people to quit smoking, stop drinking or lose weight, it's saving their lives. That's priceless. I've nearly lost mine on several occasions and can't believe anyone would value the beautiful thing that is life so lowly as to have so little willpower that they can't give these things up. No one needs a fag, or 10 pints.

If someone was stood on the corner of a street slitting their wrists, someone would phone the police or an ambulance. Yet no one would when you see a smoker. Most of us wouldn't dare suggest to an obese friend that they seek help in the same way we would if we had a friend who was say, depressed. We've let such self destruction become acceptable and commonplace. "Oh, look at me, I'm filling my lungs up with smoke and giving myself cancer. Woohoo, I'm so cool!"

My views may seem extreme, but it's the sad truth. Maybe it's because you never understand cancer, or indeed any serious illness, until you've experienced it. You never realise just how great life is until it's being taken away from you.

Saying that, I've met people with cancer, or who have got it again, and still smoke. I just don't understand. At least with alcohol you get that good old merry feeling. Where's the fun in paying to stink and die?

Please, if you disagree with me, or can shed some light on why anyone could possibly think this is a good idea, tell me. Because right now the temptation to put bear traps outside the door of whoever thought this up is starting to take over.

xXXxXXx

P.s Sorry for all the shitty grammar and sentences. I am ANGRYSTANZE.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is totally ridiculous!
    I like how the woman was like 'or some fruit' though when she talked about her treat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unpleasant as it is to reward people for abstaining from something they shouldn't do anyway, as much as it is important to get across things like "people should love life", if this scheme works and 1) fewer people smoke and get cancer thanks to economic incentives and 2) the NHS spends less money overall by saving on cancer treatment and 3) the NHS can then put the money back into helping the people already with cancer, then isn't it worth it?

    What's a better way? We could make smoking illegal? Or put up the tax on it more (though that's effectively a tax on poor people)? Or educate people better (I had loads of anti-smoking stuff in my High School but plenty of my friends still smoked)?

    It's true that noone needs a fag. I agree with you that people shouldn't smoke, that smoking while pregnant is a repulsive idea. I definitely think that if most people truly understood the horrors of cancer they wouldn't smoke. But the fact is that people do smoke and the NHS has a duty to take care of them if they fall ill and it currently costs lots and lots of money.

    ReplyDelete

Aha! You have a thought!